Sep 3, 2008

Stepping Stones

Today was a big day for us. Micah started preschool and Makayla started Kindergarten. We got off to a rough start when it was 9:20 and Micah's school started in 10 minutes, but I couldn't get him out of bed.

Once he was up and going he got excited about starting shcool.
Then we were out the back door, through our scary back yard and on our way down the stairs to our neighbors "Little Moroni" Preschool. Makayla was excited for little brother as she anticipated her big day too.
They start out in the front room with a craft or something fun, like playdough and then go into the classroom for a lesson.Mr and Mrs Dr Suess. When we went to get Micah from school, Noah, Micah's friend pointed out that Micah likes pink (hence the pink picture he drew). Job well Done Micah on your first day of Preschool!!! We're so proud of you!
After lunch we were on our way to Makayla's first day.
Even after pushing the school's start date back a couple times, the school is still under construction, but appearantly it's done enough to start school...bummer, we thought we were going to have the year off.Makayla standing in front of the Kindergarten classes and an unfinished Kindergarten playground.All three classes lined up getting ready for their grand entrance. Makayla's in the back of the line and is about to drown her excitement out with some nervous tears:(.It's hard to see the tears, but they're there. It's ok Makayla, you only have 12 more years, plus college.

When it was time to get Makayla from school my walk there frantically grew into a jog. I realized that it was later then I thought as I started passing other kids on the side walk that were already on their venture home. It didn't get much better as I approached the school, I asked some of Makayla's friends that were also in her class if they had seen her and none of them had. She wasn't among the group of other Kindergarteners who were still waiting for their parents in front of the school. I then ran half way around the school to the bike racks, we had talked about her walking home with neighbors and meeting them at the bikes. When she wasn't there I really started to panic, to make a long story short after time I did eventually find her inside the school. Her teacher thought she was a bus student and tried to put her on a bus. I will take the blame for this, I didn't have time to pin the red label on her that showed her as a walking student. Sorry for the extra tears I caused you Makayla, as if today wasn't emotional enough...However, we were able to get some pictures of you in your classroom in the end, I don't think any of the other kids got to do that:)
We explored the playground a little on our way home. And daddy (who yes was with me to get Makayla, but lagged behind most of the way while on a work call, we're glad when daddy comes home early, even if he brings his work with him) anyways, daddy tought Makayla some geography.Yes, she is much happier about standing on the state of CA! There must be people she loves there.
She's also excited about standing on this state were other loved ones live.

Makayla is now in the kitchen, doing her very first night's homework. And she is loving it!

5 comments:

Kris said...

I get to be the first one to make a comment!?! Yippee.
As an "Across the miles" Grandma, let me just say that this post warms the cockles of my heart. I have thought about these darling children ALL day and have been anxious to know how everything went. Now, I know the details, and I got the see and hear parts of their day.
Thank you SOOOOOO much Lori, for preserving this for me/us/them/ EVERYONE.

Kris said...

Makayla,
I remember my first day of kindergarten. I cried too. To think of spending the day away from my mother with a room full of strangers didn't seem that great of an idea to me. But, I had so much fun! I loved going to school. In fact, I decided that I wanted to be a teacher too so that children could have a good time and learn a lot just like I did.

Jill said...

Oh how nice it must be to have your kids sleep in till 9. Since Lorin started kidnergarten she thinks she has to wake up between 6-7. So all the other kids get up too. ARRGGGG. Makayla looks so pretty with her blond hair all curled.

Shannon said...

Yes your flip-flop wearing kids belong in CA for sure(smile). But I don't think they are allowed at school down here.
What a day. How did you handle Makayla's tears? Were you able to hold it together? First days are hard for everyone. Hope they are getting into the swing of things now.

Rush said...

Awww, it's so bittersweet. Kids growing up, and crying about scarry stuff, you getting time to yourself. And how in the world did you get kids who sleep in so well???!!! Can they come give mine a lesson?

Makayla, your hair looked beautiful!