Jul 10, 2008

Best Friends

The other day Makayla told me that Micah is her best friend, because he is the one she plays with the most. Of course I was so happy to hear her say that, but just like so many sweet things that my kids say throughout the day, I quickly let that moment pass by with our busy days. Makayla and Micah have such a sweet friendship, I often see selflessness displayed as they interact with one another. In fact, I've decided that for the next week, I am going to pay close attention to these moments and write them down. Makayla always lets Micah play whatever she's playing, even if she has a friend over, Micah's always welcome. He has become very comfortable with being Ken while playing barbies, that is until he beheaded him. One day Makayla was playing a little too rough with her favorite bunny and the rattle broke inside. At that moment her world came to an end and she bursted into tears, while crying "bunny is dead!" It was a pretty terrible moment for us all. I don't think I had ever seen her so devastated. Micah disappeared and than came back with his favorite blankie, his blue blankie that he doesn't like to part with. He said, "here Makayla, you can have my blankie to sleep with now." She clenched onto his blankie and let the tears fall. Later when things were a little calmer and it was time for Micah's nap, he asked Makayla if he could have blankie back for his nap. This is also a pretty typical thing to see around our house. Lately it has been out on the trampoline. My guess is that Micah is the one that starts this...I'm sure he's just trying to keep his sister well rounded. Our Neighborhood pool has been open for 4 days now and somehow we have found ourselves there each one of those days. We're not trying, it just keeps happening. It's about a 5 minute walk, but since Micah is not a fan of walking and we have a big bag of pool toys, we take the double stroller. Micah gets a seat and so does the big bag of toys. Today while we were walking Makayla was complaining about being really tired, she was having a hard time with the walk. I knew I couldn't ask Micah to get out and walk, because he gets tired so quickly. Plus he hadn't gotten a nap today and so he's usually not too generous under those kind of circumstances. Well, to mine and Makayla's amazement, he jumps out of the stroller (yes while it was moving) and says "here Makayla you can sit in the stroller since your so tired." Than he got a sudden burst of energy and hopped most of the way there. I think he was feeling good for sharing:) Tonight I asked Makayla what her favorite thing to do was. She said to go to church. Thoughts of how righteous she was went through my mind. She then started to elaborate, that she likes going to church because Micah looks so cute, especially when he wears his pink shirt. She talked about how cute he looks even from the back of his head. She loves to look at the back of his head in primary, since he sits in the front and she's in the back. She mentioned that his skin looks so soft and continued to go on about how cute he is...

3 comments:

Rush said...

Love the Church comment! That sounds about right. How cute that your kids are such great friends. I'm still trying to figure out how you don't plan going to the pool, it just happens. . .

Shannon said...

That is just the sweetest thing ever. How nice that they are so kind to each other. And how sad that bunny died. Was it really the last one in your stash?

Kris said...

The relationship between Makayla and Micah has often been a marvel to Grandpa and me. They are both so sweet to each other. We have seen many times when one or the other could choose to be a stinker to the other but chose not to. You expressed the heart of this relationship so well.